Sunday 8 December 2013

Roll on Spring!

LRF/Light game isn't the most popular fishing style where I live,  I do know of a few people from the Anglesey area and also Conwy who really enjoy this style, but for sometime I have been "the only gay in the village" as it goes down here.
Through posting a little more on the World Sea Fishing Forum of late, I did start reading the reports of another lrfer in the area. To cut a long (and boring) story short, PM's exchanged and we decided to meet up for a little session today.
We agreed to visit a pretty good and consistent mark on the Llyn peninsula, the mark usually affords some shelter regardless of the weather conditions and the usual quarry is pollock around three quarters of a pound, small Wrasse and some mini species.

On our wee journey up I had expectations of a good day with plenty of fish, yet it was probably the hardest lrf session I have fished all year!
The conditions were against us from the outset. Strong gusty winds changed frequently and made seeking shelter difficult, this coupled with cloudy water and a fair swell presented us with large hurdles indeed.

After a wee recce I managed to find a workable spot. Fishing OTD with a 1.8g jig head and a range of lures from Maria, Berkley and ima I managed a short succession of tiny Pollock.

Lrf Cymru

They were not the general size accustomed to at this mark and were really hugging the Kelp below, hardly surprising given the Gannets, Cormorants and Guillemots about. Trouble was as the tide rose I had to evacuate my spot and when at this time the larger fish usually show, they just did not!

My friend Jon also caught a few small Pollock before things went dead, even the mini species were proving impossible to locate. Neither of us could quite understand the absence of fish, difficult as the conditions were, I would still have expected more!

As we roamed about we exchanged fishing tales and a few laughs. Searching all the likely looking places things were bleak indeed though.

After a coffee we ended up fishing a bit of structure that offered us shelter from the biting wind, where we caught shore crabs!
I was however getting the odd bite on a piece of isome and stern determination I persevered until my prize was won;



The smallest Long Spined Sea Scorpion I have ever seen! 
I don't care much that it was so small though, Scorpion fish are cool!

A little while later I had another one, well I think it may have been the same greedy fish;

Light Game UK

Awesome as this little critter is, we decided enough was enough and departed for home and hot drinks.
I can't in all honesty say it was a bad day, it was great to fish with and meet Jon, it was also just good to be out on the shore and to get some fresh air. That being said, one thing myself and Jon agreed on; -Spring can't come soon enough!

Tight lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment