Sunday 4 April 2021

New Puzzles

 Angling in Suffolk has certainly taken some getting used to, I certainly did not fully appreciate just how spoilt I was from a lure anglers perspective when I lived in North Wales.

The fishing here can be a bit limiting and often boring. Carp angling here takes precedent and is where significant investment takes place for recreational fishing, generally this means during close season for rivers, stillwaters are out of bounds to lure anglers. 

The other thing is people here don’t know what a lake is! Recently I went to a venue which my local association called “a lake” and I found a duck pond! Again I realise how spoilt I was in Wales with its alpine lakes hosting wild Trout. Lakes which could keep you occupied for a full day and then some. I literally walked around this pond in 10 minutes and went home, it was practically a puddle!

I have however fished one venue recently which is interesting; a series of mature gravel pits in a village nearby. They do present some challenges though; the pits are shallow and full of lilies and weed, this makes presentation a little difficult. I also have to beef up the gear a bit as I’d undoubtedly get snagged if I fished my preferred light set ups. 

I must admit I do like these wee puzzles fishing throw up, finding the fish is one piece, a venue that allows lure angling another, then presentation another and so on, it keeps you thinking and researching.

I fished the largest of three pits on Good Friday and although a pretty place, boy the fishing was harder than I expected. Most of my go to Pike lures just came back laden with weed and algae. The few follows I did have resulted in missed takes or last second spooks.

It was the small Rapala Peto in Halloween that allowed me to get a decent and enticing presentation  with a fair bit of interest, however the one fish I did manage succumbed to the low floating Westin Swim glide bait.

Not a big fish but very welcome all the same!


Since catching this fish I’ve been giving some serious thought to the tactics I should employ when I return. Obviously I shall take some weedless soft plastics but I’m now on the hunt for shallow Pike lures and Wake baits too, it still feels too cold for true surface lures at present.

I will obviously update my blog should results be positive. I’m also hoping as Covid restrictions ease, I shall be able to travel further afield and maybe even target my first Zander too!

Anyway I better stop waffling, but before I go here’s a couple of  photos of my last river session before close, the fish were properly biting then!



Tight lines

No comments:

Post a Comment