Sunday 11 April 2021

Predation signs.


 So I managed to redeem a few fishing hours at the local pit this weekend, I was hoping to find one of these double figure fish I have heard about there. To be honest I think the local clubs website was written in 1904, as I’ve had tons of follows from Pike at this venue and the average size is more like 3lb from what I have seen thus far, not double figures as their page suggests.

That being said, the venue is a lovely place to fish.

There is a wide array of wildlife and it is quite tranquil and left unkept, a great place for predators to thrive.

However there is one issue; the River Stour runs just a few yards north of this Pit where Otters have been introduced and do well.

Aside from the fish I caught in my last post, many of the pike following my lures looked battle scarred and weary, including some I caught.





I’m not 100% these wounds were inflicted by Otter as there are Herons and Cormorants present too but if I was a betting man....

I may try this venue again to see if I can lure out anything larger but I shall also be on the hunt for other locations. I must say, I cannot wait until the rivers open again though, I much prefer roaming river banks to still water fishing, aside from anything the fish tend to fight better in the rivers, even of the same size. 

Again though, it is a tranquil place to fish and I am lucky to have such habitats within 15 minutes drive of my house, sometimes it is just about making the best of what you have available locally! 

Anyhow, I shall wrap this up now with a photo I took while exploring the banks of this shallow Pit.


Tight lines!

No comments:

Post a Comment