Tuesday 23 July 2019

Madeira - The Return

Recently I had a long overdue meet with these nutters;


As you may remember Scott and I had visited Madeira before and we have been keen to sample the fishing during the warmer Months and see if it would be any easier. Furthermore, after Gran Canaria Scott, Ross and I wanted to do another trip and we agreed to fish on this amazing Portuguese Island again, although a first for Ross.

The angling was a mix of bait and lure styles although I for the majority stuck to lure, understanding and meaning I would catch less but fishing on my terms nonetheless.

Well I have to say It was a blast and challenging!
I thought it would be easier than it was in summer but boy did you have to work for it at times. I personally elected for Jig fishing mostly and picked off some spirited Light Game targets.

Pargo on a HTO Shore Jig

Saddled Sea Bream on a 10g Shout Dangan jig

Debio on a 7g HTO Shore Jig

A larger Derbio on a 7g HTO Shore Jig

Ross and I with White Trevally, both using HTO jigs


Pargo on a 3g Apia Seiryu jig

Micro Pargo on a HTO Shore jig

I did a small amount of drop shooting too which also rewarded me with a new species; the African Striped Grunt:




Along with some Lure game I did employ some bait too with good success, firstly on a boat belonging to an existing friend of Ross's who we bumped into by random chance. We fished live Squid at 120m for Dentex which was just super cool and I can't thank Nuno enough for being afforded this awesome privilege!


Free-lined prawn for Derbio and Salema (another new species):


And lastly, dead-baited Bogue for my first ever Stingray:



All in all a cracking holiday with the lads and certainly another memorable one.








Tight Lines.

2 comments:

  1. I've just booked flights for Madeira in April 2020 & was really interested in reading your blog. It sounds great. Is there any chance we could have a chat over the phone, maybe, so I can pick your brains on the sort of tackle set-up I'm going to need when I go. I always like to fish light and want to try a mixture of lure & bait (float) fishing... general rock-hopping... with a flask of tea in a rucksack...

    ReplyDelete
  2. my email is webberqs@googlemail.com

    ReplyDelete