Wednesday 31 July 2019

Effort and Reward.

I have to admit that adjusting to freshwater lure angling on slow rivers has been challenging since I moved. 
Although I grew up fishing here on the Suffolk/Essex border, I fished very differently back then and to top that the area has changed a great deal. Stretches of river once fish-able without the need for clubs are now out of bounds for one reason or another. The waterways are so busy now and some areas are less accessible due to housing developments.

I am also adapting my light game style for a different set of species which has been harder than I anticipated at times, I have put in some work though and am yielding some pleasing results. 

One area of particular enjoyment is Chub fishing. Now I haven't landed anything of note as yet, I have lost a few decent Chub but that's what all anglers say right!
Nevertheless I am really enjoying casting tiny plugs, both divers and surface bugs for the warey Chub lurking under the overhangs of the Stour. I find it such a buzz to get a decent cast in as a Chub smashes a beetle imitation on touch down, its a thrill indeed.


I do really need to find some deeper water though as I keep losing better fish to the dense weed mid river!

I have also been getting a few Perch and small Pike on mini wobblers and the like. I know many favour Dropshot and general soft plastics for Perch especially, I just do like using mini plugs!



As much as I miss the variety of Wales I have to admit I am rather enjoying some of my sessions out here and I am just going to use the time to refine and build knowledge of the overall ecosystem, I can only envisage good things for my Angling by doing this in the long term. Even if some of the results aren't quite what I would like right NOW, building angling skill is always the right course of action right?! 

I shall be out at the weekend and I shall hope to share some more findings, but we shall see hey! 

Until then. 
Tight lines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment