Friday 28 October 2016

The Last Leg of My Highland Fling

Our last day of our highland trip originally scheduled a session at Neist Point but, seeing as we had already ticked that off, the decision was made to break up the Journey a little instead of increasing the trip back to Edinburgh. Scott had done the driving and was pretty tired and I was happy to just chill a bit for sure.
Therefore, we fished a little pier near our hotel that we had spotted on arrival, employing our light game gear once again. The pier was pretty stiff with small Coalies which we happily bagged up on, Scotland seems plagued with them to be honest.

HTO LRF Lures

Scott also got into a fairly decent fish which was pretty difficult to land given that we were quite high up, a nice fish though and the only Cod of the trip.


Shortly we had had enough of Coalfish and we headed back down to Loch Etive to see if we could tick another species off my list - a Grey Gurnard.

On the way down we stopped briefly at the Commando Memorial and admired the Cairngorms.


The mark at Loch Etive is pretty ideal; it is at the end of a strange grassy pier where the sea bed drops away over a steep, deep shelf onto quite clean ground.
Fishing a dropshot rig with Gulp for lure I think it was my second cast tat gained me my first  ever Gurnard.


I caught maybe half a dozen or so too, mine were all small but Scott got some decent ones.

Among the Gurnard I also caught two bloody Sand Gobies.


I don't like Sand Gobies, they plague me at home, they are a ridiculous fish and not worthy of deliberately targeting in my opinion. Oh well its another species I suppose.

Here's a couple of other species I caught before heading off to Scotts in Edinburgh.

Flounder
Another very small Grey Gurnard
A Whiting
Well finally getting a Gurnard certainly got the monkey off my back. In fact many fish aren't really hard to catch, it's more about finding the right locations. As the old saying goes "you cant catch what isn't there!".

Well our final session was a pretty pleasant way to round off the fi shing, a good bit of relaxation and nothing too serious.

Scotland is epic and it certainly will not be the last time I visit, there is just so much there and so many different approaches that can be taken to achieve different results. I can see how some spend years there but, for me at present;  though a bit of a love affair, it was more like a Highland fling.

Tight Lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment