Monday 28 July 2014

Road Trippin' Day 2 - Swanage

Since our trip to Swanage last year I had been eager to return. I had very much looked forward to catching the vast array of species present there and hoped the elusive Baillons Wrasse would still be present.
We also wanted to fish bait on our Surfcasters that evening, so our first stop was at the Swanage Tackle Shop to reserve some fresh Ragworm.
During our time there we met a fella who wanted to join us and pick up some tips, which of course we were more than happy to do. After our new friend Lee bought some lures and weights, we all headed along to the Pier and rigged up.

I fished my Blue Current 74 with a dropshot rig for the small stuff and my Breaden TR85 with a Texas rig in the hope for bigger fish.
However, the fishing wasn't as epic as usual, there were no bigger fish except an Eel caught by Lee and no Baillons were to be found at all! We speculated as to what this would be, perhaps it was the winter storms that have effected the fishes habitat? I really don't know, but I was a tad disappointed as the Baillons was one of the piers main attractions for us.

All that being said, it was a relaxing and enjoyable day nonetheless and we were really being spoilt by good weather of a change.

We didn't take many photo's over the course of the trip, but here's a few of the personally notable ones, Firstly a Scene of Corfe Castle which left a lasting image in my mind from last time;


And then some fish;

Finally some lrf Bream for me!
Lots and lots of Corkwing present.
Sand Smelt seemed eager to take anything presented.
Scott actually really wanted a Red Mullet at Swanage too and we were told in the tackle shop that "it was too early for them", well would you believe it when we watched Scott pull this up from the depths;


I believe this is a Striped Red Mullet, a new species for Scott and an awesome sight!

During the day there was a fair bit of banter, especially regarding my constant plugging of HTO and Tronixpro products among anyone who would listen. I was getting ripped proper and to make matters worse I had only caught some Sandsmelt on Knight worms that day! over the remainder of the trip I was going to have to do a bit better.
One thing is for sure though, I doubt our friend Lee will forget "HTO" anytime soon.

I shall not mention how pants our bait fishing evening session was and shall just leave you with a picture of me and my Bream with what I like to call "the Continental pose";




No comments:

Post a Comment